Support & Information
Here are some tips for meeting with a support agency or health professional:
- Before you meet write down what you want and need from the meeting and decide if you need someone to support you.
- Make sure you have all the documents needed – ask when you make an appointment what you are required to bring (ask for this to be emailed to you if possible)
- Write things down: make a list of questions beforehand and jot down the answers, or ask someone to do this for you at the meeting. Before the meeting finishes read your notes to everyone to make sure you understand what has been said.
- Stay present and fully involved: don’t be afraid to ask why or how questions, and if you don’t understand something ask for it to be explained again until
- Ask for straightforward answers: if you are worried that you are not being told everything, let the professional know that you wish to know the complete set of factors so you can make the best decision for you.
- Work as a team: share information between professionals and ask them to do the same.
- Don’t forget to ask what are the next steps and who will be responsible for the actions required