Finding a place to live

24 Jan 2018

When it comes to living independently or leaving home access and cost, as well as the need for support, can be barriers for some people with Cerebral Palsy and their families

Housing NZ manages state houses and tenancies and provides affordable houses for those in greatest need, for as long as they are in need. Some local authorities continue to provide social housing.

Choice in Community Living is an alternative to residential services for MOH clients with significant disabilities. It offers more choice and control over where they live, who they live with and how they are supported.  It is available in Auckland, Waikato, the Hutt, Otago and Southland regions.

Supported Living is also for MOH client groups, it is a service that helps disabled people to live independently by providing support in those areas of their life where help is needed.

Accessible Properties provides good quality affordable homes to people with disabilities and some health conditions and those on low incomes. It began as part of IHC but now works with wider groups and has its own board.

Other Trusts – there are many local housing trusts which provide accessible and suitable accommodation for people with disabilities and in some cases their families e.g. the Whangarei Accessible Housing Trust.