Health & Support Service

Health Services

Ministry of Health 

Through the Disability Support Services attached to a District Health Board or hospital in your area you will have access to:

  • Travel allowances
  • Child Development Services
  • Physiotherapists
  • Occupational Therapists (OT’s)
  • Speech Language Therapists
  • Orthotics
  • Equipment
  • Plunket Nurses
  • Dentists
  • Primary Health Organisations (PHO’s)
  • GP’s (General Practitioners)

Healthline (incorporates Plunket) Ph: 0800 611 116

Environmental Support Services (ESS) They are a range of services funded by the Disability Services Directorate (DSD) of the MOH for the provision of:

  • Equipment such as wheelchairs, hoists, hearing aids, cochlear implants, spectacles
  • Housing modifications such as door widening, ramp access and level access showers
  • Modifications and purchase of vehicles

Funded support can only be provided once a Registered Specialised Assessor identifies the equipment or supports essential for the disabled person.To find out more about ESS and eligibility go to:

Accessable  –   Ph: 0505 001 002

(For people who live in Auckland/Northland) 


Enable New Zealand  –  -Ph: 0800 17 1995   –  Information Service: Ph: 0800 17 198

(For people who live in the rest of NZ) 


Needs Assessment Service Coordination (NASC) ]Your health professional can refer you to the NASC in your area. A Needs Assessor will visit your home to assess what type and level of assistance you need: home help, personal care, equipment, service brokerage, carer support or respite care.

The information gathered is forwarded on to a Service Coordinator who plans and organises any service provision and supports that the family needs.

Under 65 years of age – to find the NASC in your area contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Taikura Trust (Is Auckland NASC)  –  – Ph: (09) 278 6314

If you’re over 65 years of age the NASC is your District Health Board

Support Services

Work & Income New Zealand (WINZ) Ph: 0800 559 009

You may be eligible for the following financial assistance:

  • Child Care Subsidy – preschoolers
  • Child Disability Allowance – a Community Services Card is automatically issued to your child that allows you to get discounts on doctors’ fees and prescriptions.
  • Oscar (Out of School Care and Recreation) Subsidy for school aged children
  • Sickness, Unemployment or Supported Living Benefit 
  • Disability Allowance
  • Accommodation Supplement
  • Family Support
  • Temporary Additional Support (used to be called Special Benefit)
  • Away from Home Allowance – helps towards the cost of living for dependent children who have to live away from home to study.
  • Access to needs assessment & subsidies to social housing or Housing NZ rentals. 

Ministry of Social Development Ph: (04) 916 3300 

The Ministry of Social Development, Te Manatu Whakahiato Ora, provides strategic social policy advice to the New Zealand Government and provides social services to more than one million New Zealanders including WINZ, StudyLink, Heartland Services, Family & Community Services. They are also responsible for the Ministry of Youth Development, Office for Disability Issues, Office for Senior Citizens, Office for the Community and Voluntary Sector.

Assistance for people over 21 years of age is in the areas of:

  • High Needs Funding
  • Vocational Training 
  • Daily Living Skills